Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Feeling Stronger and Faster!

Usually on my shorter runs I don't wear a Garmin. I just run how my body feels. But I decided to change things up and I strapped on the Garmin and headed out the door. I was pleasantly surprised yesterday when I looked down during my run and saw my pace. My average pace yesterday hovered around 8:33. Here is the breakdown:

Mile 1: 8:31
Mile 2: 8:25
Mile 3: 8:18 where did that come from?
Mile 4: 8:31
Mile 5: 8:21
Mile 6: 8:25
Mile 7: 8:47
Mile 8: 9:27

I haven't seen these times in awhile, well I guess I wouldn't know since I haven't been wearing my Garmin. I would like to think that all those tough runs after work actually made me stronger physically and mentally.

I know that I have been mentally fatigued lately but this run I felt focused and on fire. It is weird how I actually was able to clear my mind. It is the strangest sensation, to not have a single thought pass through because I was so focused on the task at hand. Almost as if I am watching from the side line on what is going on. It is hard to explain, but a feeling that I want to have on the regular basis.

After my run I have started a new regiment. I have been incorporating some plyometric exercises, which is to help me build speed and power. I have been doing these for four days. I start with lunges 3 sets of 30, followed by 3 sets of 30 wall jumps. The wall jumps are quick and explosive with no rest in between the jumps. Than I do 3 sets at 1 minute of wall sits. Those hurt! After that I do 3 sets of 30 box jumps. Again this is explosive jumps.

I would like to think that I have already noticed a difference as I am feeling stronger and my leg turnover seems to be quicker. It also has helped to stretch my legs and also unloads all the junk that builds up after my runs. I am not as stiff as I once was and I plan on doing these exercises and little by little increasing the repetitions and the height of the wall jumps and box jumps.

Today I had another fantastic workout, I ran 7 miles in an hour. That is an average pace of 8:42 per mile though some miles were faster. I did start to feel yesterdays work out on the last 2 miles but I just pushed myself harder and focused on relaxing and next thing I knew I was back.

Again after the workout I did the lunges, wall jumps, and wall sits and box jumps. Tomorrow I will take it nice and easy and just have a nice relaxed run so that I can get myself ready for my long runs this weekend. Before I know it, Way Too Cool 50k will be here. Can't wait for my first race to see where I stand. Looking forward to some quick runs and getting stronger while doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment