Sunday, April 29, 2012

Greatness

Greatness is inside each and everyone of us. Greatness that can inspire one to reach new heights and forgo all the limitations that we put on ourselves. I see greatness in my team at work, I see greatness in my friends, I see greatness in my family, greatness is all around.
But the real questions I should be asking is "Do I see greatness in myself?" A very tough question, one that I have been battling with for awhile now. Something I really never saw in myself, but I saw it in others and wondered why? I don't know why I sold myself short, because greatness is inside me too. I see it now, but more importantly I believe it.

Believing in something can be hard. I am the type of person that needs to see results immediately. But results can take time to achieve. The opportunity for me lies in setting attainable results and also having long term goals in which I can work towards but it wont be immediate. I believe that this has been the difference in me finding greatness in myself.

How am I expected to motivate others when I don't believe in myself. That was always the challenge. The do what I say, not what I do mentality, just wasn't cutting it any more. What I needed to do was start believing and start sharing.

At first when I started running I really didn't talk about it too much at work, why? Maybe because I was embarrassed, or the expectations I would put on myself, and even the classic; people will think I am crazy.

My past race; AR50, I actually told my team what I was doing since I wasn't going to be at work. The look on their faces was priceless. They didn't say I was crazy or say I wouldn't make it. They offered encouragement, and said I was inspiring and that now they could tell their friends they know someone who runs ultras.

They didn't judge me, if anything I think it encourage them to do something for themselves that yes they can achieve anything they put their mind to. They asked questions about training, about what I ate, why I do it. I do it because it gives me a goal, it allows me to push and challenge myself in a way I thought I couldn't do before. I like the challenge of setting a goal and the dedication it took on my part to achieve that goal. It shows that hard work and dedication and a little greatness anything is possible.

I believe that greatness in me came out when I opened up and shared with  my team my passion. My commitment and the "why's" behind it all. I tell them that I see greatness in them, and I do. I really do.

Greatness is inside all of us, I see it in you and I see it in myself.

2 comments:

  1. So true! It's easier to see it in others before seeing it in ourselves. But for the record, I've always seen it in you! You're a strong and incredibly positive runner and you inspire many around you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kyla. You are an inspiration both on the trails, at work and in life. Never sell yourself short. You are the real deal Pigeon. :)

    ReplyDelete