Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A Different Workout

I have noticed a trend, and I finally said enough is enough. I have been talking myself out of running because it has been getting pretty warm out here in California. I mean I don't have a race that I am signed up for so I think that has something to do with my lack of motivation. Now don't get me wrong I am still averaging around 30+ miles a week so I am not completely dropping all my workouts, just the ones where I think it is way to hot. With my work schedule it is difficult to run as I go into work at 3:30am and I think running at 1am might not be too safe.

With my recent lack of motivation I decided this morning as a matter of fact to make my way to the gym and run on treadmill. I brought a change of clothes and after work I hit the gym. Now it has been so long that I had lost my little gym card so I had to buy a new one ($5). I can't remember the last time I went to the gym to run. Once there I quickly went to work as I needed to get home to Traildog. I found a treadmill and started it up. Well, not exactly I think I starred at it like it was going to start itself and as I tried to read the words they appeared to be in a different language even though they weren't. There were so many options, all I wanted to do was run, track my miles, track my pace. That is it.

Traildog, hanging with his new buddy Bullseye!

So somehow I ended setting my hour long workout for intervals and since I was already started I didn't' stop it to change the settings. I am not sure how accurate treadmills are but this treadmill said I was holding a 8:40 per mile pace. Now I can't remember the last time I ran that fast, maybe I couldn't remember because I also haven't been wearing my Garmin. Anyways, when the "hills" came up I held a 8:49 per mile pace and each set consisted of two minutes for a total of 60 minutes.

Here he is resting with his goose

I am glad that I hit the gym because if I had run outside I probably would have just run 4 miles and called it good and I also wouldn't have pushed myself. I think the weirdest sensation I felt was when my workout was complete and I stepped off the treadmill I still felt like I was on it. My legs were a little wobble.

I wonder what he is thinking?

I am not sure how often I will hit the gym as I prefer to run outside, but it was nice for a change and maybe it will help me get my motivation back. I know on days I can run outside I will, like my days off and also my weekends off, I can't imagine doing a long run on the treadmill.

1 comment:

  1. The day after day of hot weather can real suck the fun out of running thats for sure. I also will hit the dreadmill every once and a while to escape the heat. Its not fun but the air conditioning at the gym helps.

    30 miles a week while not training is awesome

    ReplyDelete