Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Snake on the trail

"Aghhagghhhhh!" is all I could hear ripping through the canyon. I had just come across my first snake on the trails this morning. It was huge and it was looking right at me as I came flying around the corner. It stopped me in my tracks, and just as I stopped it slithered into the brush that was up to my arms and covering the trail in parts. It was black with bright yellow lines running down it's body. Now I remember from Biology class that anything with bright colors is poisonous, or was that just for frogs. Any ways, I was still screaming. Once I finally stopped I slowly took two steps back and contemplated what my next move was going to be.....

Now if that doesn't get the blood flowing I don't know what would.

Before my snake encounter around mile 7 I had a pretty interesting morning. I was wide awake at 2:30 a.m. Yup I am typically up at this time. I layed in bed because what was I going to do at this ugly hour. I had a lot of time to think about what I wanted to do with my four day weekend and I knew I wanted to spend it running on the trails. I have missed the trails ever since I moved to a rotating every other weekend off schedule.

I was on the rode by 6:05 a.m. heading up to the Overlook. I had two options, I could run to Cool and back which is 14 miles, or I could head down the dam hill and see how my body felt and go from there. I choose option 2. I headed down the dam hill. It was a beautiful morning. the sun had risen I could hear the roar of the river and smell the pine trees. My how I have missed this.

River is high

I was at the base of the dam hill and really enjoying the run. The trail was tacky and fast and also overgrown in parts. But it was still a beautiful run today. I was running without my Garmin and running how my body felt. I did have one goal and that was to tackle every hill and run them all. I need to get myself ready for Tahoe Rim 50K next month. I also wanted to see how the hill repeats up Pennsylvania Ave. were treating my legs. And thus far so good. The hills seemed effortless. My legs didn't get the dead leg feeling. And once I crested the top my legs transitioned into the descents nicely without any hesitation.

This is new, nice I didn't have to get my shoes wet!

I wasn't pushing myself hard or forcing my body to run a ridiculous pace I was relaxed and just running. I know interesting concept, just running with no worries in the world. No negative thoughts, no pressure just running because this is what I love to do.


After my last long run the dreadful 29 miles in the Canyons I thought I would never enjoy running again. It wiped me out mentally and physically. But today I had a positive out look and was cruising along. The miles were just clicking by. I knew this trail like the back of my hand. The descent, the ascents, the bench the snake.....The SNAKE!!!!

Not where I saw the snake but you a can see how tall everything is getting

"Aghhagghhhhh!" is all I could hear ripping through the canyon. I had just come across my first snake on the trails this morning. It was huge and it was looking right at me as I came flying around the corner. It stopped me in my tracks, and just as I stopped it slithered into the brush that was up to my arms and covering the trail in parts. It was black with bright yellow lines running down it's body. Now I remember from Biology class that anything with bright colors is poisonous, or was that just for frogs. Any ways, I was still screaming. Once I finally stopped I slowly took two steps back and contemplated what my next move was going to be, should I continue on or should I turn around.

A great day on the trail

I knew it had been 7 miles so far and my legs are still feeling good. But I also don't want to continue on and have to return through here and run back into that snake. I decided to turn around before the snake slithered out from under the brush. Today I am OK with 14 miles, I mean I did just have a hard workout yesterday that was 6 miles plus 4 hill repeats. I shouldn't push my luck or my body.

I turned around and high tailed it out of there. I think I was running on sheer adrenaline. I was flying and eventually I had to tell myself to slow down and that the sticks on the trail really were sticks. Once I settled back down I continued on with  my plan to attack the hills.

My legs were still feeling really good, no dead legs and they were responding. Being able to tackle the hills helped to increase my confidence because I never really thought of myself as a climber. I will need all the confidence I can get for Tahoe.

Some video of the trail

I was fueling and hydrating well, it did warm up as I neared the dam hill. I fueled and hiked the very steep portion and then ran most of the rest. It felt effortless. My legs just kept on moving. I had a nice and steady pace going. I did hike some but that was maybe 10 yards at a time and the total hiking was maybe 4 times. Not bad for a 3 mile climb out.

Trailmomma, are you in there?

Overall I am pleased with how today's run went. I enjoyed it and pushed myself mentally on the hills. I achieved my little goal I set out for today and I am also looking forward to what tomorrow's adventure will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment