Monday, May 2, 2011

Overcoming

This week marks the second week of the early morning logistics process for me at work. Last week I was only there for 2 days before going on vacation again, where I was able to enjoy some quality time with Lil Man and enjoy the awesome trails in Auburn.

There is a lot of change taking place and so far it appears that my team is adapting well to that change, or they are very good at hiding how they are really feeling. This month also marks a bigger challenge for me. That is, how do/will I get all of my training runs in? I start a weekend rotation with one constant day off during the week which is Thursday. I tried to get Friday off so that way every other weekend I would have a nice three day weekend, but no dice. My boss wasn't too keen on that idea.

I am also learning that I can't just sign up for whatever race I want when ever I want to now. I have to look at my work schedule first and see if I am off, because I will need to be careful with how many weekends I take off. I know it will take a lot of strategic planning, but I do not want to stop running. I already have been approved for my race in July TRT50k and I still need to sign up for the SNER and get the time off for it. I will make it happen for the SNER---redemption-----

I find that running helps keep me balanced, it pushes me physically and mentally and I have made some outstanding friends through out this journey. Running isn't just about PR's (though they are nice) or if I am the first one done, sometime I am the caboose and I am OK with that, as long as I am on the trails.

It is more about finding my inner strength to keep putting one foot in front of the other. To get back up when I "bonk" or when that finish line seems so far away. It is about being one with myself and to gain a better/bigger understanding of myself. To grow and push myself past that threshold, just go one more step then one more. It is about adversity and perseverance. It is about growth and new beginnings.

Running has helped me gain so much in the past year. It has given me goals to reach for. Goals besides work. Before running I felt lost, but now I feel that I belong. I am not the fastest runner but I have heart and determination and that makes me feel so alive. A feeling that I haven't felt in a long time.

Life can be a challenge and sometimes it is hard to "get back up" but to have attainable goals has helped me in so many ways. When I talk about my trail runs, there is excitement and a sparkle in my eye. I have been on some fabulous breath taking trails and I can't wait to see more.

I have inspired some of my peers and they still can't believe that I run 50 mile races and do it sometimes with painful blisters or busted ribs. I ran one marathon and then 4 months later ran  my first ultra. Who does that????

I always get the question: Why? and How do you do it?

The answer to me is simple, because I enjoy it and I enjoy the challenge and pushing myself mentally and physically. It is possible, I just have to believe.

So, yes I have a challenge ahead but a challenge that I will face head on without slowing down....well maybe a little so that I can have a solid plan on how I am going to tackle this change. Change can sometimes make me slam the brakes on, but not this time. This time I will overcome it!

No comments:

Post a Comment