Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving Craziness!

I made it through Black Friday and the day after. It wasn't pretty at times but I did it. I was sleep deprived in a span of 32.5 hours I only managed to get 2 hours of short nap and than right before heading in Thursday night a 20 minute power nap.

Thursday I arrived at work at 1am with a team to complete all the 2 day prep. Staging product to ensure a quick and efficient replenishment process. Once we were done with the task list it was close to 9:45am. My family was planning on a evening Thanksgiving dinner so that worked because now I could go home and get some sleep. Only there was a few minor problems. One I so wired from work that I couldn't calm down no matter what I tried. My mind was spinning out of control, with thoughts like....did I prep enough, did I over prep, what if I missed something...no I think remembered everything. It was frustrating. I finally managed to lay down and close my eyes but it wasn't a restful sleep. I was tossing and turning, the kids playing outside were screaming at the top of their lungs and it was hopeless. I finally got up around noon, with only a few hours. I than headed over to family house to have some family time and to play with both of my nephews.

I arrived at my sisters house with Traildog, he is family and I wasn't going to leave him at home. The nephews were super excited to see me. They came running down the hallway and about knocked me over to give me a hug, than they did the same thing to Traildog. It was great to hang out with the family even though I was on such little sleep. I have missed a few family get together in the past years because of work and I was tired of it. We enjoyed a great dinner and even better conversations. In fact my oldest sister wants to do a 5k with me. How great is that?

I headed home to get ready for work and ended taking a 20 minute power nap in the sitting position on my couch. I was so exhausted I didn't even set an alarm. I woke up and headed into work drinking a red bull on the way. Now typically I do not drink energy drinks but this was the exception to the rule. Survival!

The line at work was wrapped around the building. It was going to be crazy. Once the doors opened and the craziness began it was non stop. My team did an awesome job with keeping the floors full and quickly replenishing the end caps and helping out all the guests. It took an hour to get everyone who was standing in line into the building. The checkout line wrapped/snaked it's way up and down the aisles and around the store. It was utter chaos, but controlled chaos. I don't think I sat down that morning at all. I believe that my plans for my Logistics team were executed nicely, the packets I made for them on what they were doing each hour and when to take their breaks and lunches really allowed me to focus on other things. I knew they would do a great job and they completely exceeded my expectations. It was a busy day, but a day that with great plans went really smoothly.

After work I arrived home around 7am ish on Friday morning. I immediately dropped my things at the front door took care of Traildog and made my way to bed. I awoke around 2 that afternoon but was feeling rather funky still. My head was still foggy and I was exhausted. I stayed up until 4pm and went back to bed only to wake up at 11pm that night to head back to work to tackle our doubles. Those trailers brought in more freight than I have ever seen in my 11 years working there. It was literally three trailers in two. It was so much workload that I had pushed my team to their breaking point and they still completed the task. It was a crazy day, and to top it off P-Fresh arrived three hours late and it was huge. The biggest load I have seen since the opening of P-Fresh. I am lucky that I have a experienced team I am lucky that I thrive on challenges and it brings me to a whole new level. I am also lucky that I have a day off and get to rest and recovery before heading back first thing Monday morning.

I am looking forward to my afternoon today with a good friend and of course Traildog. I am looking forward to spending some time with my nephew and I am looking forward to actually making my new place feel like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment