Saturday, September 15, 2012

Inner Awakening


There comes a time in everyone’s life when they need to say enough is enough! Well, that time has come for me. It is time to remain focused and dedicated, and I figured this out on my run today. This is my starting point and the skies or should I say the trail has no limit!  I had an awakening of the spirit and the need to run.
It has been awhile since I have had the urge to hit the trail/parkway. But it happened today. Well, not really. I actually awoke in a panic at 6:30 in the morning and just laid there, thinking "Do I really want to run? It is already so late, by the time I get ready it is going to be even later." Yes, I actually thought all of this in a span of 5 seconds. And than I got up ate some breakfast enjoyed some coffee changed my clothes and I found myself driving to the parkway for some inspiration. I had no plan on the distance, the speed or what I was doing. All I knew was I needed this, it was time, I was drawn to this run.
I went back to Bannister where I used to run and just hit the parkway with no care no worry in the world. I was there for me and me only. I haven't felt this need in a while. I ran along just focused on me. Not really thinking, but thinking how much I missed this. Running for myself, setting those small attainable goals each run. Being able to see those goals reached and than some. It was my moment, my zen like moment I needed. I thought about 2013 and what I wanted and how I was going to achieve it. It wasn't going to happen by not training, it would only happen with hard work, discipline, and dedication. This is what has been missing, the goals....the challenge of each and every run. Attainable goals. Why it took this long for me to figure out I don't know. But I finally did.
During this run I felt the need to run, I slowly found myself pushing myself faster, trying to reach the runner in front of me and pass them. Focused on maintaining my pace and making the moment and the feeling last. The feeling was happiness, finding that inner happy place which puts a smile on my face no matter how bad I feel. I wasn't feeling bad just uncomfortable, I was running outside of my everyday self. Pushing myself to push harder. This is what I was missing, my inner strength.
It was only 8 miles but it awakened my inner spirit, it inspired me to push harder and set attainable goals. My eyes are wide open, my heart is open and I am smiling once again. I am back, I am focused, and I am dedicated. Here is to the runner inside me waiting to break free. Focused once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment