Sunday, October 17, 2010

It all Started 1yr ago

One year ago I signed up for my first marathon. That marathon was CIM, which is held on the first weekend in December. The reason being was I went to San Francisco to cheer on my friend who was running in the NIKE Women’s Marathon. It was such a rewarding experience being there seeing how Lily’s excitement grew as the race time neared. Being there and seeing her cross the finish line and how proud she was. It was because of her and being there and seeing it as a spectator that I wanted to be apart of it and run one.


Immediately after I arrived home that evening I signed up for CIM. That gave me roughly 6 weeks to train for a marathon, which by the way I have never run that distance before. I was running, but it wasn’t serious. It was a few miles here and a few miles there. During this entire time I had no clue how to train for a marathon. I just knew that I needed to get a long a run in once a week. No problem.

Four weeks from race day I end up in a boot with sever shin splints. My doctor also tells me that I am not a long distance runner and I won’t be able to run the marathon. It was devastating news.

But I didn’t let it stop me; I took a few days off and continued running. I managed to get in my longest run of 18 miles. Then I even took a step further and completed my first marathon. I ran it in 4:38. I did it with only 6 weeks of training and before I committed to the marathon the furthest I ran was maybe 6 miles.

The boot I was suppose to wear for 4 weeks!

After CIM, I joined a training program put together by Fleet Feet. This training program was designed for ultra distance running. Yup, my next event was going to be a 50 miler. I trained hard with Fleet Feet. I was doing two a day runs just to get my fitness at the level everyone else was at.

At the beginning of the training I was the caboose, but as I trained I slowly made my way up to the front group. Now I was the caboose of the front group. I completed my first ultra in 10 hours and 27 minutes.


I was on Top of the World!

At the Finish of my first 50

AR50 was a very rewarding experience. I never let the fact that I was new to running slow me down. I never let the fact that I had never run this distance stop me. It did frighten me, don’t get me wrong. I was scared. I didn’t want to fail.

As each new hurdle came and went, my first 30 mile training run, my first real tempo workout, my first hill repeat my confidence grew. It was mind over matter.

I was happier now that I was running. I had a purpose. It helped center me and keep me on the right path. I learned so much about myself, about how deep I could dig, how much my body could take, how much my mind could take. Let me say it is a lot and I am sure there is more.

My next challenge was Tahoe Rim Trail 50k. Yeah, I know I don’t do things in order. This time though it was different, I didn’t have a training group. I did train with Anthony for this event. I completed my first TRT in 8hrs and 19 minutes.

I had to overcome a lot in this race, from throwing up twice, not being able to eat solid foods, running out of GU, and almost passing out at the finish.

But I wasn’t alone. My Fleet Feet Crew of Three were there. Kirk, Jenny and Pam came to support and cheer on Anthony and myself. It was huge relief to see them at the aid station. It was such a mental and physical boost. What awesome friends to come and help. I will never forget that.

What a view!


Pam my runner partner and crew

After TRT I signed up for SNER 52 miler. Only this race was my first DNF. I made it 47 miles before having to drop at Twin Rocks. It still stings when I think about it. Most runners though would not have started this race in my condition. I had and still am battling a rib that won’t stay put, I also suffered and still do from Costochondritis which is an inflammation of a rib or the cartilage connecting a rib. It is a common cause of chest pain. Only it wasn’t just one rib it was my entire chest. Talk about painful.

During the race it hurt so bad I couldn’t run, I had to get my ribs taped at mile 30 and then I fell not to far after that. I battled some serious chaffing on my inner thighs. All of these issues were too much for me; I was in too much pain. I was out there for 13hours and 30 minutes before dropping.

Around mile 33

I was devastated when I had to drop, but I had nothing left. I gave it all I had to get to twin rocks. I know many are thinking “why couldn’t I muster up the strength to go 5 more miles?” The answer, I used that strength to get to twin rocks. I was completely spent.

Mile 47

My next event was supposed to be NIKE Women’s Marathon which was today. I was a DNS and I am ok with that. I am focusing on allowing my ribs to heal. The next event is CIM. I am going to finish this year where I started.

I am neither the strongest nor the fastest runner out there. I push my body as close to the edge as possible and I even fall over the edge. I never thought I would have run a marathon let alone a 50 miler. But I surprised myself and I pushed myself to complete these goals that I set.

It always amazes me how much my body is capable of. It really is mind over matter. I am grateful for the friendships I have made, the goals I have achieved and for never giving up. It was one year ago that I started my journey.
Nothing is impossible to a willing heart.
- John Heywood, sixteenth-century English poet

3 comments:

  1. You are awesome. Congrats on your one year running anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you've accomplished a lot in one year. And overcome too. ;)
    Seriously - a boot for shin splints? That looks like the monster I had to wear for a severely sprained ankle last year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This year was good, but next year will be BETTER!!!!

    Now go drink a martini for me vacation girl.

    AB

    ReplyDelete